Monday, July 21, 2008

Conversation Piece

Hello Everyone! This is the first post of many in which I will attempt to chronicle and capture the ridiculousness of my upcoming adventure. Tomorrow morning I will step on to a series of planes which will take me from Seattle to San Francisco to Hong Kong, and finally to Ho Chi Minh City (yay cheap tickets with crazy layovers!). Today I got up and made my final additions to my backpack and made some last minute arrangements before gathering my things and heading to my parents' house in Issaquah. It was only when I had my back pack on after I locked the front door (mantown: count it!) and began to walk to my car that the reality of this whole situation really hit me. For the next two months, I won't be returning to my house and all I will have to survive with are my wits (cush: as I chuckle to myself) and the junk in my bag. "It's interesting because" for the past couple months my mental associations with this trip have mostly been to it's functionality as a conversation piece. I have talked about it so much, for so long, to so many people, that the trip had become just that to me: talk. In that moment though it became real. It will probably be hitting me several more times in bigger and awesomer ways as I go along; but for now, this adventure has now effectively removed its glove and daintily slapped me across the face in a challenge to a duel. Oh, it's on now.

More to come, stay posted...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First! Hi Jono, I hope that within minutes, you and Dad will be united on your flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong. I told Dad that you would have called if your flight from Sea-Tac to SF was delayed enough to miss your connection.

I love your blog and your message and will look forward to hearing about your adventures as they happen. Steve and I wish you and Dad the very best of everything that brand new discoveries lend.

We love you,
Mom and Steve

curly brunette said...

This will be a blog I look forward to reading! Sorry wasn't able to make it there for your send off/b'day celebrations!

KD

Anonymous said...

i am so excited for you--this is huge and will be something you have forever--jenni

Anonymous said...

i am so excited for you--this is huge and will be with you forever--jenni

Unknown said...

Haha yes! I can still see the wavelength through your writing. I like that. I'm glad that the characters in my dreams can spend their dream money and dream time going on adventures all over the "world" and all I have to do is float here in my brain chamber hooked up to these electrodes while I hallucinate my "body" reading about your adventures which are all actually manufactured in my own mind. I'm a genius.