Thursday, August 14, 2008

The short of it

Wow, the past three or four days have been a bit of a blur and a roller coaster. I am in Rome right now and I don't have a whole lot of time because I need to eat shower and get ready to go to an opera tonight in the city! Yea, i'm pretty happy about it too. So, I'm going to rattle this off pretty quick bullet style and if you guys want details about something in particular shoot me a comment or and email or superpoke, whatever.
(Another note on typing errors, the Italian keyboards have all the puncuation keys in wierd places, so im going to just omit the hard to find ones, sorry)

Athens,
-Got in, found hostel, saw acropolis (not that great), the agora (better than expectations), and a lot of shitty monstrous sunglasses on overdressed girls with attitudes. Decided Athens just isnt my city.
-Found an event on couchsurfing, people getting together for dinner and drinks. Met a cool girl named Vanessa who was hosting a couple Turkish dudes. Cool guys who also were going to Rome the same route same day, so we ended up travelling together the next day. Had some decent drinks, met some cool people, took late bus back to hostel.
-Had train connection trouble which led to much learning about patience and calm and going with the flow. Everything ended working out for the best.
-Took overnight ferry from Patras to Bari. Deck tickets. Took a picture of a big painted circle on the deck that said "winch only" while sitting on and covering up the w (there's the play on words in the blog title) Met two more turkish dudes. Played a lot of cards, taught them "Asshole" and they had a blast making novelty english asshole jokes for several hours. Slept on the metal deck in sleeping bag in the open air, woke to sunrise over mediterannian.

Rome
-Got into rome, had trouble booking hostel, but eventually found a good one and made a friend with a girl named Sophie. We met up with another group of couchsurfers and went to a bar.
-We went to vatican (incredible!) this morning and Sophie left to meet with family friends. I explored rome solo and fell in love with the city. Trevi fountain, Berninis four fountains, Piazza of Popolo, Spanish steps, Pantheon (incredible!). Paninis and gelato and cappucinos.
-I booked tickets to Siena tomorrow to go see Il Palio for the next couple days, decided that Im going to go to florence for a day or two then come back to rome for unspecified number of days more to catch all that i missed and eat much more and drink much more.

Sorry to make it short, but I've got so much o do and not enough time. About to hit the 1000 picture mark, just bought a new 4 gig memory card for camera, try to get some up when I get a chance. Much love to all, Ciao!
-Jon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love being the first one to respond to your new blog entries. However, this might also mean I have nothing better to do than sit by the computer all day. I wish it were the case. With this remodel (going on week 6 of 8), I have been staying away from the house with Lolo. I have decided that anyone who lets Cute Little Doggies into their place of business, will have me as a loyal customer,otherwise, no dice. It has been an especially hot day, and after walking at the Arboritum and in Madison Park, Miss Lolo was plum tuckered out. Driving around for 5 hours with the air conditioning on left a bigger carbon footprint than I'm happy about, I wish I could find a movie theater that allowed dogs. We are both hot and spent.

Decided I'm going to use a new acronym to describe a day like today: R O S ( was that ridiculously oversized sunglasses? or M O S for major oversized sunglasses) Either way, your description was cute and made me laugh.If I check you blog for accuracy, I will lose this entry.

Wish we were meeting you in Florence instead of slugging it out with this remodel. Love you Jono, love your trip report. Looking forward to pictures.

We miss you!

Love,

Mom, Steve, and Lolo.

Anonymous said...

Even better, SMS. Thanks!

Jenkins Chan said...

Hey... when you get back to Rome and want to check out the Colosseum, go buy tickets at Palatine Hill and wander around up there before you go to the Colosseum... the tickets work at both places but nobody goes to the Hill so you'll save yourself a couple of hours of waiting in line to buy tickets if its a busy day at the Colosseum. At least they used to work at both places... you might want to doublecheck.

Anonymous said...

I know this is late, but thank you for the card from Saigon. Everyone in lab just saw your SE Asia photo sampler and loved it. I'm glad that you're doing well and loving your trip. I've been terrible at keeping up with your blog, so you may need to retell your stories whenever I see you again (perhaps December?). But I know you repeat all your stories when you've had a bit too much to drink, so I'll just make sure to buy you a coupla pitchers.

Love ya!
--Jean